Mussels with Tomato, Fennel and Saffron Aioli
- 25 Mussels
- 4 oz. white wine
- 2 oz. water
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 oz. olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup fennel, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato concasse
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Saffron Aioli
- 1 tbsp. parsley, chopped
- Balsamic vinegar to taste
- Steam mussels in white wine, water, bay leaf, garlic cloves until tender.
- Strain the mussels and carefully remove the shells.
- Reserve 1/2 the shells for the mussels to be served.
- Sweat the shallots, garlic and fennel in the olive oil until tender. Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Season and cool. Add Saffron Aioli just to bind and add flavor. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Season the tomato mixture with a small amount of balsamic vinegar and chopped parsley, place on bottom of shell. Place one mussel on top and serve cold.